CFE Mission Statement
CFE is Impact Driven - we shape entrepreneurs who want to have a positive impact on society – with disruptive ideas that are scalable and meet a societal need. CFE supports these entrepreneurs and connects them with the Michigan entrepreneurial network.
Founded in 2008, the Center grew out of the University of Michigan College of Engineering's Committee on Entrepreneurial Environment and Programs (CEEPS), a group of faculty that released its recommendations in the report "Empowering Entrepreneurial Students." The Committee recognized that young innovators can help stimulate the state's economy. It also recognized that there were a large number of aspiring entrepreneurs already at the University of Michigan, but that these individuals were unconnected and did not feel empowered to pursue their entrepreneurial ideas. While the College already had entrepreneurial faculty, alumni, facilities, and corporate partners committed to inspiring and guiding young entrepreneurs, it was lacking a focal point capable of coordinating these resources. Thus, the Committee recommended the creation of a Center for Entrepreneurship within the College of Engineering.
Among its many accomplishments, CFE is responsible for:
- Launching brand new courses and formal academic programs focused on entrepreneurship;
- Co-managing the TechArb student startup accelerator;
- Helping students launch their own ventures through mentorship, micro-grants, networking opportunities, and office space;
- Coordinating Entrepreneurial Experience trips to Chicago, the Bay Area, and other locations.
CFE resources enable it to:
- Connect current students with Michigan alumni in the start-up community;
- Provide grants for students to pursue their own ideas for companies and products;
- Support, simplify and clarify student intellectual property transfer processes for students and the broader community;
- Develop entrepreneurship-focused academic programming so students can take entrepreneurship courses from U-M faculty and members of the broader entrepreneurial community;
- Coordinate activities with entrepreneurship student groups on campus.
Disclaimer of Liability & Endorsement
CFE is interested in supporting impact-driven ideas, that is, disruptive ideas that are scalable and meet a societal need. While CFE encourages innovation and creativity, it will not condone or support startup companies or ideas that it deems contrary to its organizational culture, interests, and goals. This may include entrepreneurial projects that are derogatory or discriminatory in nature, as well as companies whose mission is to manufacture or sell sex as a product; gambling as a product; illegal drugs or drugs other than registered pharmaceuticals or their associated paraphernalia; weapons; alcoholic beverages; and tobacco products. CFE reserves the right to revoke funding and/or material and non-material support of any entrepreneurial projects, events, and organizations that violate its standards and guidelines.